Bernstein | Polsky: Your Wrongful Death Attorney in Boca Raton
The experienced attorneys at Bernstein | Polsky have won massive settlements for Boca Raton residents with wrongful death cases over the years. Our firm has recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clientele. When wrongful death cases stem from general negligence, premises liability, an auto accident or medical malpractice, if a party dies as a result of the negligence of another party, the negligent party may be liable for the wrongful death of the victim.
If you or someone you love died because of someone else’s wrongful, negligent or careless actions, you are legally entitled to open a wrongful death claim. Our team of Boca Raton wrongful death attorneys will pursue maximum financial compensation on your behalf.
Wondering Why You May Need a Wrongful Death Attorney?
As in any other profession, there are people whose focus and quality of expertise are in a narrow area. Wrongful death attorneys are specifically experienced in this highly focused particular area of law. The wrongful death attorneys at Bernstein | Polsky have an astute understanding for the special steps in the process of wrongful death claims and knowledge of statutes and case law on the subject, which are required in order for a claim to be successful. We are also knowledgeable about the intricacies of the highly specialized insurance law involved in wrongful death cases. Hiring one of our top-notch Boca Raton wrongful death attorneys will have a direct impact on your chances of receiving the maximum amount of compensation for your loss.
What You Need to Know About Wrongful Death Cases in Boca Raton
There are a few important things that you should know about wrongful death cases in Boca Raton. A wrongful death case is a civil claim, which means that it is brought to court by the deceased person’s estate, not by the government. The liability in a wrongful death claim is expressed solely in terms of financial, or money damages. Florida statues section 768.19 states that when a person’s death “is caused by the wrongful act, negligence, default, or breach of contract” by another person or other entity, that the estate of the deceased person may bring a civil lawsuit in Florida’s courts, seeking a legal remedy for that death and the losses because of it. The statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death claim in Florida is generally two years from the date of death, although there are exceptions. This means that if your loved one passes away in Boca Raton or anywhere within the State of Florida due to another’s recklessness or negligence, you must be cognizant of the shorter timeline in which you have to file a wrongful death claim. Although a personal representative files the wrongful death claim, it is filed on behalf of the deceased person’s estate and of any surviving family members. In a wrongful death claim in Boca Raton and throughout the State of Florida, the personal representative must list every survivor who has an interest in the wrongful death case.
The family members who may recover money damages in a Florida wrongful death case include:
- The spouse, children, and parents, of the deceased
- Blood relatives or adoptive siblings who are “partly or wholly dependent on the decedent for support or services.”
The Boca Raton attorneys at Bernstein | Polsky are well-versed in Florida state rules for awarding damages in a wrongful death lawsuit. Damages that the surviving family members can receive in wrongful death cases include but are not limited to:
- Whatever is the financial value of support and/or services the deceased person previously provided to the surviving family member
- The loss of companionship, guidance, and/or protection, which was provided by the deceased person
- The mental and emotional pain and suffering that are due to the loss of a child
- The medical or funeral expenses that surviving family members have paid for the deceased person
- In addition, the wrongfully deceased person’s estate may also recover certain types of damages. These can include:
- The lost wages, benefits, or other earnings, that the deceased person could have been expected to make if they had lived
- The lost “prospective net accumulations” of the estate, in other words, the value of earnings the estate could reasonably have been expected to collect if the deceased person were alive still
- Any medical and funeral expenses that were paid by the estate directly
Call Bernstein | Polsky Today: Your Wrongful Death Attorney in Boca Raton
Do you have the wrong lawyer? If you live in Boca Raton or anywhere within the tri-county South Florida area (Dade, Broward or Palm Beach) and need a wrongful death attorney to aggressively pursue your case, call Bernstein | Polsky today. The attorneys at Bernstein | Polsky will give you an honest proposal for your case helping you attain the compensation you deserve. Coping with the death and loss of a loved one is one of the most painful and traumatic experienced in life. While no amount of financial payment or money can ever truly compensate for the loss of a loved due to wrongful death, you may find comfort when the responsible parties are brought to justice. Call today to let Bernstein | Polsky secure your future and provide a sense of closure to wrongful death survivors.