The Boca Raton, Florida fire damage claim lawyers at Bernstein Polsky work closely with individuals whose homes have been damaged or lost due to a fire. The aftermath of a fire can be devastating for homeowner’s and their families. When the unthinkable happens, you need a fire damage claim lawyer on your side. Bernstein Polsky can look at the damage your home sustained in a fire, look closely at rebuilding estimates and contractor estimates to help you understand what the costs of repairs or rebuilding might be, read the fine print of your homeowner’s insurance policy to help you understand your coverage and rights, negotiate with insurance adjusters to help you get the best possible settlement under the law, and fight insurance adjusters either inside or outside of court if you aren’t getting the settlement you deserve. Contact the Boca Raton, Florida fire damage claim lawyers at Bernstein Polsky today to learn more about how we might be able to help you.
What to Do After a House Fire in Boca Raton, Florida
If your home was damaged or destroyed in a house fire, you may be wondering what your next steps should be. Of course, the first step after a fire is to make sure that everyone involved receives proper medical attention. There are other steps you may need to take after a house fire to protect your family and rights when it comes to making a homeowner’s fire insurance claim. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- If your home isn’t safe, find a safe place to stay. Your homeowner’s insurance coverage may include provisions to pay for a hotel or lodging, to pay for replacement clothes, and to cover the difference between the cost of groceries and meals out if you no longer have access to your kitchen to cook. Take the time to read your insurance policy to see whether your homeowner’s insurance covers these costs. Most standard policies offer coverage for additional living expenses you may incur because of your fire. If you are not sure whether lodging is covered, or if you are having difficulty making a fire claim for additional living expenses, you may want to reach out to the Boca Raton, Florida fire damage insurance lawyers at Bernstein Polsky today. Our lawyers can review the fine print of your policy, look at the costs you have incurred because you couldn’t stay in your home, and fight to help you get the settlement you may deserve under the law.
- Let your homeowner’s insurance company know a fire took place. The sooner you make a claim and submit proof of loss forms after a fire, the sooner you can receive your settlement. You may be able to receive an advance of money to cover your losses to pay for living expenses, lodging, and other daily needs.
- Keep a record of all your added living expenses after a fire. An issue that can arise after a fire claim involves disputes between your insurance company about your added living expenses. Keep all receipts and records of meals, lodging, clothes, or other items you had to replace after a fire. The Boca Raton, Florida fire damage insurance lawyers at Bernstein Polsky can help you submit appropriate documentation to your insurance company to help you get the reimbursement and settlement you might deserve. We can help you gather evidence of your expenses and put together a case that will help you get the best possible settlement under the law.
- Take steps to secure your home. If your home wasn’t completely destroyed, you may have a responsibility to protect it from further damage. This may include putting a tarp over your roof or boarding up windows to prevent further water damage to your home. It could include removing undamaged expensive or valuable items and putting them in storage. Before you enter your home or do anything, make sure that the structure is safe and that you have the all-clear to return to your home. Follow the instructions of authorities and advise your insurance company if authorities have asked you to stay out of your home.
- Make sure you request a copy of the fire report. Your insurance company will likely request it, and your fire damage claim lawyer in Boca Raton, Florida can review it to better understand your rights and your claim.
- Take inventory of what was lost inside your home. A fire doesn’t just damage the structure of your home, it can also result in damage to your property, electronics, furniture, and valuables. Take stock of what was lost or damaged. Homeowner’s insurance policies may be able to reimburse you for the actual cash value or the replacement cost of damaged items, depending on your policy. Actual cash value policies will typically only reimburse you for the cost of buying a similar used item. Insurance adjusters consider depreciation when evaluating a settlement. If a television was destroyed in a fire, insurance adjusters will consider the age of the television and estimate how much it might cost you to buy a similar used model. This value will usually be lower than the value of a new television. Replacement cost insurance, on the other hand, will reimburse you for the cost to buy the lost items new. You may be required to submit receipts to your insurance company to receive a settlement, and this insurance often comes at higher premiums. When it comes to negotiating the replacement cost of lost items, understanding the value of items in your home, and properly appraising them is essential. A fire damage claim lawyer in Boca Raton, Florida can help you with this process and assist you in getting the best possible settlement permitted under the law.
- Contact a Boca Raton, Florida fire damage claim lawyer at Bernstein Polsky today. If your fire damage claim was denied or underpaid, or if you have questions about navigating the fire damage claim process, Bernstein Polsky may be able to help you.
These are just some of the steps you can take after a fire. Every situation is unique. Always call 911 in the event of a fire, seek medical attention, and report damages to your insurance company. If you are not sure about the next steps to take in your fire damage claim, contact the fire damage claim lawyer in Boca Raton, Florida at Bernstein Polsky today.
How a Boca Raton, Florida Fire Damage Claim Lawyer Can Help You
A Boca Raton, fire damage claim lawyer can help you understand what is covered under your insurance policy, help you submit documentation to facilitate your claim, help you understand what your claim might be worth, help you if your claim is underpaid or denied, and appeal a denied or underpaid homeowner’s insurance claim either inside or outside of court. A denied or underpaid claim doesn’t need to mean the final word. You may have the right to appeal. A Boca Raton, Florida fire damage claim lawyer at Bernstein Polsky may be able to help you. Contact us today to learn more. Our compassionate and caring fire damage insurance lawyers in Boca Raton, Florida understand how difficult the aftermath of a fire can be. Let us help you.